Lean approach to PDI problem
What was the Problem?
- PDI was suffering variable quality and long lead time – despite a dedicated technician
- Traditional solution: “Increase staff” …and costs!
- Understand demand, and quality & delivery-time targets
- Engaging the technician to:
- Measure & map current process in detail
- Identify & eliminate waste by problem-solving
- Devise new method and low-cost equipment (e.g. trolley)
- Test, improve then standardise new method
PDI technician experimenting with tool trolley
- Reduced costs and better customer service
- 210% efficiency, 100% quality,
- Standard, predictable, plannable time
£36,000 p.a. saving